Nimy Canal Bridge - Mons
The original bridge was held by 4th Batt. Royal Fusiliers on Aug 23rd. Lt Dease & Pvt. Godley were both awarded V.C.s for their action at this point. Dease commanded two machine guns which were on the embankment on the left of shot with the Germans attacking from the other side of the canal. By midday one MG was out of action and Dease was firing the other single-handedly although he had been hit three times. When he finally succumbed to his wounds, Pvt. Godley took over and held off the attack for almost an hour before he too was wounded and captured although not before he had thrown the MG into the canal. Dease is buring in St Sy phorien CWGC but Godley survived the war in captivity.
Original bridge was blown up in 1940
© Mike St. Maur Sheil / westernfrontphotography.com